Misnomer: The X-Girl Picayune

The life (or is it the lack thereof?) stories of a twenty-6-year-old grad student
Thursday, March 23, 2006
 

It's that time again...

Time for another Windows XP shenanigan on my office computer. The last major problem I had was with installing the SP2. Man, time really flies. It was on January last year.

This time what happened was that Windows Explorer and the task bar didn't run right after start up. I thought it was because I couldn't access the Che network due to expired password and had to check into local workstation instead. Failed network driver or something?

Even out of my lay person world, Safe Mode didn't work and this message kept popping up:
"Instruction at 0X10018891 referenced memory at 0X10018891. The memory could not be read."

So, I went back to normal start up, tried to access Windows Task Manager, and forced a new task on a browser since I need to google this thing up.

Several Microsoft support pages later, it looked like a Clean Boot up was in order.

I wondered how the heck I can get into "Run" if I couldn't access the start task bar. Later I found that the "New Task..." tab under the Task List could function as "Run". I, then, typed in "msconfig" and the rest was history.

The thing is, there was no "issue" found in all four (Process System.ini File, Process Win.ini File, Load Startup Items, and Load System Services). The Explorer just magically started to work again.

Heh. Unto the next shenanigans. In the mean time, I think I need another slave drive.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Previously on Misnomer

Cliques and such

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?