Yuri, who?
In an effort to get the right part of my brain functions properly, I went to a concert entitled
Yuri Bashmet and the Moscow Soloist. Being poor students and all, we (me and a group of close "artistic" friends, oh yeah and my bro) can only afford the balcony seating, the farthest one up. With 50% discount coupon from the Batalyon, the school newspaper, it still cost us $15.50 a ticket. Well, there goes the budget for 4 movies at Hollywood. Btw, the concert is a part of the MSC-OPAS program for the Spring semester. This is the closest thing to performing arts and operas we have here in CS without having to drive out to Houston or Dallas.
After installing the new solenoid valve that was just arrived that afternoon, I raced back home to pick up clothing for the evening. Who knows where all those nice stuff are located on my ever-cluttered-tiny closet . I was even thinking to wear one of my suits for interview, in case I couldn't find anything to wear..waks..even my brother has a more sense of fashion (well, he always has).
Being an ignorant person, not until I read the program did I realize that that was a
String concert. What a foul.. I thought that soloists= singers, and that they are going to perform some kind of opera style singing.
Anyway, the program started with Yuri, the violin virtuoso, with 3 cellist, 1 bassist and 1 harpsichordist playing Bach's Bradenburg Concerto # 6, with 3 movements. Let's just say that the piece was quiet moving. Sorry, I couldn't put more intelligent review. But just in case anyone interested, please do contact me for the complete program, ;p.
In the second pieces, there were already a group of 30 violinist, violist, cellist, bassist, double bassist, and cembalist performing, with Mr. Bashmet conducting.
The third or the last pieces before intermission from Toru Takemitsu were strange, well at least for a laywoman like me. Unlike the usual string chamber music [like the ones in the background of Tom & Jerry or nice movies soundtracks], there were less harmony and different rythm, especially for this piece called
Funeral Music (Black Rain). I guess the title speak for itself. I couldn't help comparing Mr. Takemitsu's composition to those of Vernon Deyre character in Agatha Christie's "groundbreaking" non-crime novel, the Giant's Bread ;p. It was that strange. The nice part of the performance was the post intermission session, which is Tchaikovsky's Souevenir de Florence, op 70, again 3 movements. Definitely, I enjoyed (*understand*) those pieces.
Other than the slightly improved right brain condition, I could say that I have found a more appreciation for the string orchestra, particularly because they could cover a whole range of emotion. And you know what, I wish I had a recording of W.R. Supratman playing Indonesia Raya on Aug 17, 1945. The violin was just perfect for a national anthem like this.