VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Here are key comments by chief Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls on the health of Pope John Paul.
He spoke in Italian at a news conference. The translation is by Reuters.
"The Pope is conscious. This morning at about 7:15 a.m. (0515 GMT) he celebrated Mass. I was there and he recalled that today was Friday, the day when one usually recites the Stations of the Cross. He asked that the 14 Stations of the Cross be read to him. He followed the readings attentively ...
"I saw that this morning while he was in his bedroom he received some of his aides ...
"At this moment the situation is stable but significantly serious conditions remain. Biological parameters are not within the norm, his blood pressure is unstable. The Pope continues to be lucid, fully conscious and I must say very serene.
"Just a few minutes before I came here to talk to you, he asked that parts of the Gospel be read to him and he followed them attentively. That is the situation at this moment."
Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited.