Misnomer: The X-Girl Picayune

The life (or is it the lack thereof?) stories of a twenty-6-year-old grad student
Tuesday, February 03, 2004
 
I don't quite get this. If to prevent an explosion one has to avoid a certain range of H2 concentration in the air, how come it never explodes in the beginning and during some part of the deposition, where clearly it already passes the lower xplosion limit and not yet passes the upper limit?

this has been a part of my mid-day "scientific" woolgathering



Comments:
From old comm-sys...

poor equipment ?
b | Email | 02.03.04 - 7:48 pm | #

b, among other factors, the ventilation system does have a serious problem. It was designed and built in such way that some of the H2 could get trapped instead of get vented to the outside world.

You know what's worst, the explosion becomes too unpredictable lately.
xinda | 02.03.04 - 10:45 pm | #

Time to invest on an ear protector ?
b | Email | 02.05.04 - 5:41 pm | #

I've been using plugs since forever. So, I'm okay. Passerbies and the people around are the ones I have my greater concern on. See, they walk around my area with no anticipation whatsoever of the danger lies ahead and *boom*. I couldn't just put a "Beware of Explosion" sign around, without raising the safety people's inquiries, etc. Anyway, it's kinda solved, I will N2-purge the lines and vent for a long long time.
xinda | 02.05.04 - 7:10 pm | #

How about when the light is on,
there is a possible of loud noise ?
Is the new lab going to have window ?
b | Email | 02.06.04 - 12:14 am | #

The new labs will be on the very top floor, at least the ventilation system is better that way, and no unauthorized peeps running around.

You mean white light? Unfortunately, it's always going to be yellow lighted. And it has nothing to do with the loud noise since it's coming from the machine, etc. Or do you mean light-code the situation? Light's on ok, light's off danger?

And yes, there are windows, outside, across the hallway.
xinda | 02.06.04 - 12:52 pm | #
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Previously on Misnomer

Cliques and such

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?