From: M***** M*********
To: h******.n********@c******.t*m*.edu
Cc: y*****@t*m*.edu **h***@t*m*.edu v**-*****@t*m*.edu
Date: 03/10/05 03:20 pm
Subject: Message from Dr. H*** - grad student photos
Good afternoon.
I'm writing to you on behalf of Dr. H***. You have received this message because the department does not have a recent picture of you on file. Notice was sent via e-mail about graduate student pictures being taken on the second floor, but to date you have not had your picture taken.
Please note that these pictures are mandatory, and the last day to take pictures is next Thursday, March 17th. Please come by either room 255 (my office) or room 250 (T******'s office) to have your picture taken. Let me or T****** know if you have a conflict and cannot come for pictures or if you have any questions.
Thanks,
M*****
So, that was how I started my day today. Yes, instead of, say, a cup of nice chai and a bagel with appropriate amount of cream cheese spread, I had a sligthly unpleasant e-mail. The e-mail, by the way, was carbon copied to my advisor, the Departmen Head, and the business administrator, in that order.
Needless to say, once I had arrived to school, I marched in to the second floor demanding for my picture to be taken on the spot. They gave in, I gave them my best fake smile, and there we were done.
Still, I don't understand what it is with the department and its obsession to compulsively update graduate students pictures. There are many other areas that are desperately needed some extra attention. Friendlier support from the computer guy, for example, or possibility to give more paid vacation days, uhm, oh yeah, what about efforts to elevate our sinking national rank.
Gaagh!!