What is it with me and Friday? "Interesting" things always occur on
Freya's day. For starter, on my way from Kinko's, I saw a yellow Beetle with an arrangement of artificial sun-flowers right beside its steering wheel. Talking about color coordination :). Another thing, on the short trip to Bryan Independent School District's office, I saw a wonderful display of art works from KG-5th grade students, from paintings to clay pottery. Amazing.
So, I & G, the Panamian, also had a nice morning window shopping at
Earth Art, a craft store in downtown Bryan. The store sells stuff from various countries, mostly Greece, Russian, India, China, Poland, and of course, Indonesia. Yeah, I had never expected to find exotic things, such as Bali carved arts and wayang, Batik clothings, and kites, up for sale in the middle of nowhere like here in B/CS. Oh...also, there is this beautiful wooden chess table in the store. All of the chess pieces were modeled after Mahabharatha characters. Both the table and the chess piece were elaborately carved, carefully finished, all for a shy $1,200. Cool stuff.
Anyway, here is a little conversation between me and the salesman:
Him: You're from Indonesia?
Me: Yeah..
Him: From which part of the country?
Me: Sumatra..
Him: *Looks joyously at me* Anywhere near Pekanbaru?
Me: Actually, I'm from there.
Him: *Frantically happy* Rumbai area?
Me: *Hyper* Oh my god, I live there... Do you live in the area?
Him:We don't actually live in the compound. My parents still live there, dad works at Schlumberger. I went to boarding school in Malaysia. Can I give you my number so we can hang out sometimes. :D
Me: Sure, do you have e-mail also? :)
Him: I'm J, nice to meet you. (*Shaking hand*)
Me: X, nice meeting you too.
The interesting thing was, that he pulled his hand towards his chest after the shaking, much like the traditional Indonesian way.
So, the question is, should I call him sometime? Me and my anti-social disorder need some serious treatment. ;)